Friday, 9 April 2010

Bakelite collection begins!

I have been looking into getting myself some Bakelite jewellery for a while now - and made my first purchase today from Etsy - some red dome shaped earrings from the 1930s - complete with original brass screw backs.

I have my eye on getting myself some of the spacer bangles next - i think in butterscotch and red, so they will match my outfits! Apparantly they have a nice weight feel and 'clunk' when you wear them together. They are not really expensive, but not cheap either - so it will be one at a time as I scour for some bargains....updates to follow! Here is a nice stack that I can aspire to....

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love collecting Bakelite jewelry, its so colourful and gorgeous. And you're right, if you wear several bangles together they do make a lovely sound. They are very tactile too. Love your earrings, I've got some like that. Check out my website for lots of information on Bakelite jewelry. www.decolish.com/BakeliteJewelry.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley - Ooh, you have some lovely pieces for sale, I will certainly have a good look - thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered how fabulous spacers are. I've had some green ones for years but never thought to wear them. They totally change the look of my larger bangles. Now I want more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive just bought some lovely red swirl and brown swirl 1" bangles, and some butterscotch spacers! Im waiting for them to arrive but they make take a little while longer with the ash cloud of doom delays!

    ReplyDelete