Monday, 31 May 2010

Im Back!

I'm back from my week long holiday to Barcelona and Screamin' Fest in Pineda De Mar. I had a great time, met some nice people, had lots of nice food, sangria, fun in the sun and got a few bargains too! I will do a few posts on my week as its a bit too much to do all in one. Thanks to the lovely Holly at Temperamental Broad, I now have lots of nice new followers - so hello! and I hope you enjoy reading my blog :) So....first of all Michael (my other half) and I went to Barcelona for 3 days to do some sight seeing and galleries. Michael had never been before so I plotted out a rough idea of the best sights and managed to cram it into the three days! Firstly, here is a picture of our luggage - very easy to spot on the airport carousel!

There is lots of cool Gaudi arcitecture to see in the city, so on our first day, we went to see the Sagria Familia - the multi spired church that was started in 1882, and that is famously unfinished (hence the scaffolding!). It really is a stunning building. You could go up the spires and inside the building, but it was €20 each (about £18/$25)! eek! So we gave that a miss and just had a good look round the outside instead.
We then went to Parc Guell - which was lovely but very very busy..the photos didnt come out too well and too many people on the shots so I pinched one off the website ;)

It is well worth a visit though if you should go.....just be warned that it is a long walk up a big hill to get there!
On day two, we went to the harbour at Port Vell, and then did some wandering around the old gothic quarter that is the Barri Gotic. There are lots of little galleries, antique shops and boutiques in this area - and I managed to get some very cool flamenco shoes for only €10 (about £9/$13) which are pink and black polka dot with a nice low heel (im rubbish at walking in heels so these are perfect!)
On our last day, we went to the famous market - Mercat de la Boqueria - which sells every food, drink and gormet chocolate that you can think of. Amazing and yummy! We then wandered round the El Raval area - home to lots of cool vintage shops and boutiques. Great to look round and lots of cool stuff, but really overpriced so no purchases here! We then went to MACBA (Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona) – modern art museum to have a look at the latest collections. To be honest, the art was interesting, but the super modern building itself was more facinating in the fact that it lent itself very well to some lovely photos. Here are a couple of my favorite shots taken by Michael
And to finish off, this is a photo of the view from our boutique (ie not posh - but 'quirky'!) hotel room
The building opposite had some really stunning wrought iron baloconies and stonework, very typical of the Gracia area that we stayed in. Barcelona is a great city - my advise for anyone going is to use the metro (underground system) as it is super clean, fast and cheap and you can zip about here there and everywhere and see all the sights. Oh, and have some Tapas of course!

1 comment:

  1. Your suitcases are THE coolest suitcases. I need something like that!

    ReplyDelete