Monday, 7 June 2010

My first lucite box purse!

How excited was I this morning when the parcel postman came? He brought me my first lucite box purse! I won this on Ebay while I was on holiday, early one morning when I was awake and browsing the internet on my touch, courtesy of the free hotel WiFi! The girl who sold it obviously did not realise its worth, as she had just listed it for 9 days with a starting price of £5, and a 'buy it now' of £15 - yes £15!!!! (about $22). I think it had been listed for about all of 14 minutes when I saw it, and immediately bought it! Here it is....
Its an original 50's clear lucite box, with a clear etched top, and ridged clear base with glitter in the body. It is made by Plastic Jewel NYC, which is etched on the base. It is in excellent condidtion, and really sparkles! The only flaw is that the clasp is missing. The hinge on the box is a strong spring hinge however, so the lid stays firmly shut - so I'm not too worried about the clasp. It still looks amazing, and for such a great price!
Here are a few close ups of the lid detail:
I think when I use it - I'm going to make a vintage fabric insert pouch so you cant see all my posessions inside. My pink mobile phone and bunch of car keys would totally ruin the look of the bag!! If anyone reading this has a clear box purse like this, how do you use it? Do you use an insert pouch?

7 comments:

  1. Wow...what a great find. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Ive been kicking myself for letting one go at around $50 at the goodwill bidding site. Granted I didnt have $50 to spend but I thought that was a good deal but you got a fantastic deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just too cute! I have seen these go for so much more! Even the repro ones on My Baby Jo retail for over $100.00!

    So, a huge congrats on your amazing steal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I have been wanting one of these for ages now, so I know how much it should of been, and what a great deal I got *lucky* :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're killing me!
    Love it and I'm glad you got yourself a kick ass bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when people get it wrong on ebay, I've been pretty lucky lately on that front!

    ReplyDelete