Thursday, 12 August 2010

Very Superstitious?

Today I woke up to find my dad and 2 of his workmen chopping down our holly tree! I had been complaining about how it was a monster that takes all the light away from the garden, and how it just grows at such and alarming rate - and is soooo prickly - that we wanted to get rid of it, and my wonderful dad came and did it for us as a suprise early this morning!

Before - taken early this summer. It was actually far more overgrown that this yesterday - but I didnt get
chance to do a proper 'before' photo!
 
And after - soooooo happy and there is so much more light :)))

So why 'Very Superstitious' as my blog post title you may ask? Well, apparently someone told us that cutting down a holly tree is very bad luck! So I looked it up online, and yes - it is!
Its a good job that I am not remotely superstitious or I would have just condemmed myself!
This got me thinking as its Friday 13th tomorrow - a day a lot of people dread. I lived at number 13 for 25 happy years (my parents still do!) so for that reason alone, I am a non believer in superstition. I am however in a minority aparantely! I did a bit of reasearch on google and found that:
"According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of this day. Some people are so paralyzed by fear that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, taking flights or even getting out of bed. "It's been estimated that [US]$800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day". 
Really?? I find this quite shocking! I have nothing against those who are superstitious, but I can't understand those who live in fear of a day, a number or not cutting down a large, unsightly light stealing tree. What do other people think? Will you be changing your routine and hiding under the stairs tomorrow?

8 comments:

  1. I don't consider myself to be superstitious, at least not regarding the bad luck part, I do however enjoy the good luck stuff like 4 leaf clovers, horseshoes etc. And 13 is my favorite/lucky number:) I was born, baptized and married on the 13th (maybe I'll kick the bucket on the 13th as well...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not superstitious at all I don't think, I'm sure there is the odd stupid thing I do like 'touch wood' but I don't mean it, I cannot imagine livin my life in fear of such stuff there is plenty other real stuff to worry about. I wouldn't walk under a ladder though, not cos it's bad luck, it's just common sense what if something drops on your head ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool spot to do an wonderfull themed garden !! Plus you got a little cabin to hide all the bazar. What a cool place !

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your garden and the little red door...turn out well..we mexicans are very superstitious ,but I'm not really..Friday the 13th is actually what you make of it..if you believe then ur going to make bad things happen to you..you also get back the energy you put out...13 is actually a very stable number in numerology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, the only thing you have condemmed yourself to - is more light! And that is just Dolly good :D

    You know that taffeta dress I want from US? They offered shipping at 14 dollars, is that ok? I just thought I'd ask someone with more experience with overseas shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I'm not alone in my non superstition! Happy Friday 13th folks ;)

    Luna - I think $14 is a fair price to ship a dress because of the weight so go for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks like it's out of a storybook. I love the red door and gate. No, I am not a bit superstitious. Those are very surprising statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully you'll be happier with your garden now, despite the cutting down of the holly tree and Friday 13th.
    I only believe in two things: if you put your purse on the floor you'll be poor and if you put your keys on the table you'll be unlucky. I thought I'd keep to those believes since I noticed this is the best way to keep my purse clean (not having it on the floor) and to keep my table free from dirty metallic things (like keys). Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother! :D

    ReplyDelete