Tuesday, 14 September 2010

KIWI RIP OFF - NOT HAPPY!

As im sure any small business/label does - I often 'Google' Dolly Cool to see if I have been mentioned anywhere. So, I was doing just this tonight when I came upon this listing on 'Trade Me' a Kiwi only selling site;
"Dolly Cool Brand" earrings. Hmmmm. These are NOT mine! And no, it wasn't just a coincidence with the name, as the seller had the cheek to use MY LOGO as one of the photos on her listing!
It is not actual the logo I use on my website - it is the heading off this blog! Grrr! So angry!
I have contacted the 'Trade Me' sites complaints department, and have reported this as an inappropriate listing and have requested that they remove the listing and contact the seller to tell them they can't use my name or logo to sell their products.
As the seller got the logo off this blog, I really hope that it is not one of my readers who did this. For the record - it is NOT OK to steal someones brand, and it is certainly NOT OK to use MY brand logo and MY brand name to try and sell your products!

14 comments:

  1. Oh, my god!! That is SO wrong! I could see if they used the name, not knowing that someone else already used the Dolly Cool brand (although they should have googled it!) but to steal your logo too is just SO bad!! My mom is an artist and she has people steal her art and resell it on ebay ALL the time. People are so stupid to think that they won't get caught! Good for you for contacting the site! I'm sure that they will take care of that right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! What were they thinking? I hope to start a little business one day and I have been googling potential names for months to make sure nothing I choose is already taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of thing makes me sooooo mad! I have no idea why anyone would think this was ok and that they wouldn't get found out. Someone I know does fabulous repro chalkware that he sells on ebay, he has had people buy his stuff, remould it, paint it (Badly) then use HIS pictures & description to list it!!! GRRRRRR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! I'm sure it wont be the last time but I hope to nip this one in the bud asap.
    Brittany & STM - Ripping off art is just the lowest of the low. How do people think they can do this and no-one will find out?! At least this seller didn't copy my jewellery,but Im sure that is going to happen at some point :-S

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nerve on someone!! God da.. it! I would have been furious!
    (One one hand - you could think - I'm getting so well known and popular, people wanna copy me ;) anyways... you did the right thing reporting those bastards!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - I've had people copying my work and in one case practically my whole Folksy listing wording too. It is so annoying but unfortunately it happens. Good on you for saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh what a bastard. I hate seeing when people have ripped me off. Recently came across someone at a fair selling very similar work to mine that I had met before. Embarrassing for her!! Hope you get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope the website follow this up and take action against this person. It just seems so wrong that people should have to accept this as just one of those things that happens. Even a site dedicated to naming and shaming would be something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can take it two ways, as a compliment and flattery or totally LAME. You are indeed awesome but someone shouldnt steal your stuff. :( Hope it gets sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just naughty. Some people just don't have a moral at all. Hope the listing will be removed soon and the seller hopefully will learn a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talk about wrong! I have my own business too with the husband and if someone did this to us, it would be war! The gall of some people! This is your work, your name, and your livelihood and they are trying to cash in on your company. I am glad it is getting fixed!

    ReplyDelete