Wednesday, 17 November 2010

A trip to Moomin Valley!

Hooray - I finally made it to the Moomin exhibition! (I went a few weeks ago - and the gallery was shut!).
It was worth the wait anyway. Tove Jaanson is one of my all time favorite illustrators. Her quirky drawings and use of line work is quite somthing else, so I was thrilled to see a large colletion of original line drawings from her personal collection and sketchbooks on show at the gallery. The thing I love about the Moomins is that the cartoon is a bit dark - a sinister edge. The Moomins themselves are cute little hippo like creatures, but there are lots of other weird and wonderful other characters hiding in the stories too.
All completely done with small, thin lines - amazing.
Loved this windswept Moomin Mama!

Throughout the gallery, there were these moomin stickers on the floor. I wanted to peel them off to stick on my floor at home ;)
A recreation of Moomin Valley in an area of the gallery. Good interactive stuff for the kids!

And of course, I had to get a picture of me as Moomin Mama!
The only downside to the trip was that there was hardly any merchandise in the shop :(
 They only had a few badges. I was hoping for books, cards and whatever else I could lay my hands on!
The exhibition runs until January 15th and is on at Bury Art Gallery (North West England).

4 comments:

  1. Oooooooooh! I might just have to introduce the girls to the Moomins :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Cute! Cute! Those Moomins are precious! I love cows! The Moomin Valley part of the exhibit looks brilliant! I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable Moomins..they kinda remind me of Rockos modern life cartoons.

    ReplyDelete