Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Fascinating!

In the UK, a lot of people are doing something to celebrate the Royal Wedding (of Kate Middleton to Prince William) on April 29th. I myself am not a royalist, nor is anyone I know really - but its a good excuse for a party isn't it?! It's actually quite a nice atmosphere seeing what people are doing for the occasion, and the shops are full of cheery bunting, flags and party things.
My parents are going to a dinner party on the 29th with the theme of Bow Ties and Fascinators, and so my mum asked me to make her a fascinator for the occasion. Although I am a creative person, I have never made anything like this before so it was a bit of a challenge, but it turned out OK.....
Ta Da! My first ever fascinator. My mum is wearing a red dress so wanted something match that was "funky". I did a red/white/blue theme as a nod to the Union Jack colours... 
And a view from the top! Not too close up mind you as the finishing is a bit squiffy! ha ha! 
Lets just say that I wont be changing career to become a milliner! 
Speaking of which, there are three people who I follow who make fascinators/are milliners properly and are worth checking out if you don't already follow them;
Little Rascal - my friend and creator of lovely hair flowers, fascinators & hats
Milliner Me Kimothy - I discovered this gals blog only a few weeks ago. She lives in Tampa, FL and gave me some great thrifting tips for when I visit in a few weeks :))
Kalandra Jane Millinary & Musings - Fellow Mancunian and maker of fabulous hats and fascinators. 
Kally also mentioned on her blog that she was having a stall at the Northern Quarter Street Party - a 40s themed street party for the Royal Wedding in Manchester's arts quarter;
(Blurb taken from NQ street Party website)
April 29th will see Edge Street and part of Oak Street transformed into a 1940s-style street party, with bunting, punch and Victoria sponge in abundance. Local cafes and businesses will set up stalls offering party food, cake, chocolate, vintage delights, arts and crafts and much more. A fabulous, eclectic fashion show will showcase the Northern Quarter’s finest independent designers and outlets, with many of the garments available for sale on stalls afterwards.
A swing dance lesson by the Manchester Lindyhop society is sure to get toes tapping, while a 40s-themed treasure hunt around the Northern Quarter will delight would-be sleuths. A busker’s bandstand will feature a mix of folk bands, magicians and other entertaining eccentrics; local artists will showcase their work in a series of live art performances; rumours abound of an epic sing-off between two rival barbershop choirs, while the ‘Red Arrows’ will be taking to the streets as you’ve never seen them before!
Budding cake-bakers, bunting-crafters and jam-makers are invited to enter their creations into a competition, to be judged by a very special guest. Other party plans include craft workshops, a brass band and string quartet, charity tombola, pass the parcel, black pudding hoopla and much more. As the light fades stunning visual projections will be provided by Littlestar Media and DJs including Xfm’s Gareth Brooks, Murkage Cartel and the stars of the NQ’s finest underground clubnights will keep the party going til 9pm.
--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to Kally's blog post I have gatecrashed the party and will also be having a stall at the event! Should be good fun...will get some photos of course! :))

9 comments:

  1. speaking of the royal wedding, here in australia, there was an ad on tv selling replicas for the engagement ring. tacky, in my opinion.
    love the fascinator though! very creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh I just commented on Retrochick's blog on the same subject, same as you, not a Royalist, don't really care but an excuse to party and all the bunting and being proud of our British pageantry is all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous fascinator, Rascal gets down with her creative fascinators.
    I am not into Royal familia ,but I am getting a little excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! The royal wedding is huge in Belfast too, even tho not many are to keen about the whole thing. It'll probably be insane on the 29th up here.. anyway! I wrote a little somethingsomething on my blog about your blog (you were the only one to comment lol)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thanks for including me in your list. <3

    Your fascinator looks FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for mentioning me! That fascinator is tooo cute, your mom is gonna look so rad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fascinator is so pretty! I haven't been bitten by the royal wedding bug. I'm actually going to be sleeping whilst it's on tv (downside of the nightwork).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for mentioning me! Woo, exciting that you're doing a stall too, should be a good day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is simply adorable, Dolly!

    No reason is too "out" for having a party ;) How I would love to have lived in Manchester now! I just love the 40's <3

    Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete