Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Florida - Day 6 - West Palm Beach (Thrifting & Antiques!)

Day 6 started (again!) at 6.30am....after a hearty breakfast at a nearby Denny's, we were on our way to West Palm Beach. On the way, I had mapped out a stop to a huge fabric store to pick up some supplies. The US fabric stores are 100 times better than the ones in the UK! I buy printed 100% cotton to make my hairties with, and I ship it all from the US, so it was nice to actually browse the huge selection myself (and not have to pay any shipping!)Its also no surprise too that its way cheaper than UK fabric stores too.
I got 2 yards each of these 2 Hawaiians. Not for hair ties, for me! :)) 
(You can't really get Hawaiian fabric in the UK) I fancy making some high waist skirts with these....i'll keep you posted....
And a selection of some of the cool patterned stuff I got.....
which is now turned into these Dolly Cool hairties
I also picked up this super cute re-usable tote at the tills for $2
After spending ages fabric shopping, we arrived in West Palm Beach and stopped at an Animal Shelter thrift store we spotted. I'm so glad we stopped as we picked up this absolute gem;
Vintage lucite butter dish - $1 (62p!). I tried to get a good pic, but it does not do it justice as it is actually really sparkly and catches the light in person. We both really love it, what a bargain.
And I also got this Hawaiian shirt for just $1.50 :))
We then arrived at our intended destination, Antique Row, a whole street dedicated to antique stores....
We soon realised that 99% of the stuff in these exclusive shops was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy out of our price range! These shops are for the seriously wealthy. However, we had an amazing afternoon viewing the best collection of Mid Century furniture and artifacts that I have ever seen! There were genuine Le Corbusier chairs, Eames and Jacobsen furniture and lighting alongside original Lichtenstein, Haring and Warhols! Much of the contents of the shops was from the estates of Architects. For someone interested in Design and Architecture such as myself, this was a dream come true! 
(US Architect, Frank Lloyd Wright is one of my heroes, I'll bore you all on him some other time!) 
This was one of the best stores, Objects in the Loft. Seriously droolworthy early to mid century pieces. If I ever get rich, I'm going here to furnish my mansion!
On a more affordable level, there were some vintage clothing/consignment shops in and amongst the antique shops where I managed to pick up the following from Glam Vintage;
60s gingham wrap dress - $30. Not bargainus thrift, but still not a bad price and considering I don't normally buy much vintage clothing for myself, and I really love this. 
The only thing I didn't love was the large, rounded collar..... 
Which I altered this morning into a much smaller one! It was a bit tricky, but I think I did quite a good job!
(Forgot to take a 'before' pic, oops)
I also got these 50s cats eye sunglasses, which I'm going to get my prescription put into;
The frames are a white and clear stripy lucite...really unusual. Not bad at $28
After hours of looking round these mini design museums, we headed a few miles north to The Norton Museum of Art, where we had lunch by the fountains before going in and spending a few hours looking at the collections.
Me outside the Norton. I'm wearing my lovely lake print dress that I got from Primark...and no I didn't see anyone else in it, and I actually got lots of compliments on it from the Antique store owners and Gallery staff!
We were really tired after such a busy day so stopped off overnight at another bargainous La Qunita hotel close to Melbourne, which was our destination for the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Great finds, I love that dress and the butterdish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm seriously jealous of the hawaiian fabric and the gingham dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really really cool with all the Hawaiian!!! And some nice hairties you made also...

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the Hawaiian fabric,If you ever go to downtown L.A. stores you will find all kinds of fabric super cheap.I want your hair ties, do you do friends discounts?
    cute gingham dress, you look so adorable,I been wanting that beach dress.

    ReplyDelete