Thursday, 21 July 2011

Mutant Veg!

I interrupt my usual blog patter to bring you something that has amused me greatly today....
I had my friend, Emma, over for lunch today. She had just come from visiting her parents who have an allotment, with a current surplus of produce - which she kindly brought for me. I got a big bag of gooseberries, a carrier bag full of broad beans, and this......
A mutant HUGE courgette (or zucchini for my US readers). I have honestly never seen anything like it! I took a photo of it next to my foot so you can see the scale. It weighs 1.8kg (nearly 4 lbs)!!!
I looked up some recipes online, and I'm going to make most of it into a courgette and parmesan soup, and then use the rest in stir fry or as a side. It really is a monster!

9 comments:

  1. whoa Mama! its huge, look at your cute cherry tatt feet. I was just thinking about making fried zucchini with ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isnt a big courgette a marrow?

    his bent-ness is a bit weird too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo Boo Kitty; Hmmm im really not sure! I know they are from the same family, but I thought marrows were stripey?! It came from a courgette plant anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF!! You could also stuff and bake it? I do it with normal sized courgettes, I reckon you could fit a LOT of mushrooms, onions, toms and cheese into that bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought when courgettes were overgrown they were marrows too!?? :S I made some nice marrow wine before.... but it did take almost a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arrghhh! Voldemort's courgette!! Get it on a soup quick...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that thing is ginormous.I love zucchii.I usually cook it i italian bread crumbs and make zucchini parmesan.

    ReplyDelete