Tuesday, 27 September 2011

London Tattoo Convention

This weekend just gone, I went down to London to see my friend Kate and to go to the London Tattoo Convention. I've wanted to go for a few years now, so booked my train tickets in advance this year to make sure that I did! What a show! It was brilliant. So many amazing artists, inspirational artwork and fabulous people watching with great bands and tempting stalls to boot. We went for the start of the day on Sunday and stayed until it was closing time. Here are some photos of the day;
Cool artwork on the programme
Outside the event as we arrived at Tobacco Dock
Fab stalls. This one sold engraved wooden things with Mexican themed imagery on it - awesome!
Tattooists at work. This booth (Spider Murphy's from California) had the most amazing Flash book for sale. I soooooo wanted it but it was £115, and VERY heavy!
And the traditional Tatu Tappers at work. 
This looks extremely painful - but the work it results in is amazing
Me, Nicola and Kate taking a sunshine break on the dockside
Bums! he he! The line up for the Traditional Japanese Bodysuit comp.
And Vince Ray and the Boneshakers played in the Voodoo Crypt, yay!
We saw so many artists at work, from all over the world. We saw people getting their necks tattooed (the guys eyeballs were popping out!), someone was having their forehead tattooed - he had a massive crowd! and lots of people in a variety of positions having all sorts of body parts tattooed. Fascinating! We spent hours looking through flash books and watching artists at work and getting inspired for my work, and my next tattoo! There was of course also some stalls -  most of which were brimming with things that I wanted to buy! I had set aside a bit of treat money for my trip and this is what I bought.....
Sailor top from Collectif - £15 (in the sale)
Tattooed Russian Doll Vest from Sacred Stitches - £8 (in the sale). I have a few of their things. They hand screen them in the UK and I'm always happy to support small UK businesses!
Sewing print shirt - £20 (sample rail) from UK label Limb
And a close up of the print! Isn't it super cute?! Limb is kind of  a UK version of US label Trashy Diva - they hand make their clothes to vintage style patterns in really beautiful fabrics. 
They are pretty expensive (out of my budget!) but thank goodness for Sample Rails eh?!
Sugar Skull Socks - £4 
I had to have these!
And finally, some red glitter nail varnish. £2.99 from Barry M.
 I've been wanting some of this since I saw a girl with a fab manicure at an alternative and burlesque fair that I did a few weeks ago. She had red glitter nails, with silver glitter half moons! Will be giving that a go for sure :)
All in all, a great weekend, roll on next year!

10 comments:

  1. Oooo I NEED that polish and love both sailor tops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun day! Loving those socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amor,
    Look like you had so much fun.
    love the calavera socks and nautical top. sewing print top goes with your new tatt. maybe you should make the shirt into a halter top to match you new tatt. I have that red glitter Barry M polish bought it last year around Xmas time. I have to buy more glitter polish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That nail polish is absolutely FAB on top of a coat of red polish.
    It's one of my favorites and I got red glitter lipstick to match! :D

    Looks like and awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanna visit a tattoo convention. I've never been been and it looks like a ton of fun! I just began editing a post about a sailor style top..great minds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to have been there.
    Those tatu tappers are very hardcore, I remember seeing that TV explorer Benedict Allen having that done in Papua New Guinea, it looked hideously painful.
    Love your purchases. I bought the blue version of that Bazza nail polish for Helga, I haven't tried that one yet. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the sailor top,and sewing top.they are really cute.Love the socks and polish.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi hun i was gunner go to this convention but no spends which is a shame....but even happier news tho i am going to the one in manchester in the first week in august im so excited.
    kay x

    ReplyDelete