Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Potato cakes - the perfect Autumnal comfort food!

Today, I made potato cakes. They are one of the easiest things to make, and great for using up leftover mashed potato, but mostly delicious and comforting food for when the weather gets chilly - like now!
Variations of the potato cake are made all over the world, and you may know it better as a potato scone, potato pancake or griddle cake. I am making the North West UK Version of course - available in many local bakeries as a savory breakfast or lunchtime snack.
The best thing about these, is that there is no measuring required!

You will need:
-Cold mashed potato (seasoned to your taste with salt, pepper, butter and milk etc.). However much or little you have leftover will do!
- Plain flour
-Butter for greasing
-Solid Flat metal baking tray

Method -
Its best to decide you are making these the night before - and so if you are having potatoes or mashed potatoes for your evening meal, you can add a few extra in the pan so you have some leftover for potato cake making. Prepare the mash as you would normally, to your own taste. I add salt, pepper, butter and milk.
Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight in a covered bowl

When you are ready to make your potato cakes, firstly pre-heat your oven to 200c (390f), then simply tip out the cold mash into a bowl, and start to add a heaped dessert spoon of flour at a time:
 Mix in the flour first with the spoon, then with your hands as it becomes more dough like. By only adding one spoon at a time, you get the right amount for your mashed potato. Its ready when it has a dough-like consistancy, but is still a bit sticky. It should not be dry and should roll easily into a ball like this:
Potato dough! 
Next grease your flat based solid metal baking tray with some butter. I just used my (clean!) hand
It is important to use a flat, solid metal based baking tray, and not one of the mesh ones, or ones with holes in, or not to put it on foil - as the metal will seal and crisp each side.
Then split your dough into palm sized balls
And press into rounds (ish!) with your hands. No need to be precise, its more rustic that way! They should be around 1 - 1.5cm thick.
Then put on a middle baking shelf, and bake for 20 minutes.
After 20 mins, take them out and flip over on the other side. You will see how the underside has sealed and crisped up :) Return to the oven for a further 20 mins.
Ta Da! Eat warm with a knob of butter, delicious! 
Surplus cakes can be stored wrapped up in the fridge for a few days, and simply reheated by popping in the toaster! You can also freeze them, but I can guarantee that they wont last that long :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm deffinatly going to have a go at these, I could just eat some now !
    I have the same chopping board as you, by the way, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm these look so good,
    I love potatoe pancakes.
    thanks for the recipe, I will definantely make some of these. cute plate and cupcake chopping board. love your pink polka dot easter egg timer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh these looks yummy :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm only problem is I never have any left over mash! It's my big weakness.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mine, I'm hungry for those now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yum Clare. Maybe I'll have a go next time the hairy one wants carbs. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe. These will be on my next "what to bake today" list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought some potato cakes mix! I can't wait to have them again, it's been ages! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. hrm I think yours are probably better than mine will be, homemade is always best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a potato cake. It's been years since I last had one. Thanks for that recipe, I know there's a bag of spuds in the kitchen that i need to use up soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummm I love potato pancakes.Those look so good.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Other than the flour, these lovely pancakes look just like the delicious latkes my husband's mammaleh makes during Hanukkah. I also love mammaleh's knishes! Actually, I love all things potato! As a vegetarian, potatoes are a big part of my diet and I am always looking for ways to make new and tasty veg-based cuisine. I adore Indian dishes like aloo gobi, aloo saag, and I crave my mum's potato soup (make with veg stock instead of chicken). Therefore, I will be sure to try your potato pancake recipe the next time I make mashed spuds!

    ReplyDelete