Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Vintage table cloth revamp and some new Bakelite!

Remember the awesome vintage tablecloth I picked up back in May for just 50p from my local YMCA?
Well, at my last sewing class (boo hoo), I was shown how to make it into a full circle skirt! It was really easy and just needed a bit of measuring, some Petersham (waistband interfacing) and a zipper.....here are the results;
I made it in less than an hour :) 
Ta Da! As usual, I've got my trusty leggings underneath for 
a)warmth (UK "Summer" is not warm!) and 
b) modesty! Full circle skirts tend to have the 'Marilyn' effect if caught in a gust of wind!!
Not at all bad for 50 pence eh?! (About $0.75)
I've accessorised it with a red twinset cardigan from H&M, and some vintage jewellery;
Latest Bakelite bangle bargain, $17 from Etsy 
Goes perfectly with my skirt and other Bakelite and bamboo!
60s fruit necklace - £1 from Hospice shop, and my new (to me!) Bakelite bow pin. Another steal at just $15 from Etsy. This is my first Bakelite brooch/pin and I already want more! 
The bargain hunt is on :)

14 comments:

  1. The bakelite collection is fab and the turquoise orange and red colour combo is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done especially on hemming a circle skirt! It's a tough one to get right. Great bangle collection xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You colourful chick! That skirt is a wonderful creation and I love your gorgeous bangles! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the skirt came out! The fabric is so much fun. Love your accessories too, the orange brooch against the red cardigan looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no you didn't! A fabulous skirt from a tablecloth? You are a legend.

    You have one of the best bakelite collections. *turns green with envy*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Hehehe the British summertime eh, although dahn sahf we're basking in 30 degree heat! PHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, what a bargain and a true one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skirt looks great, and that pin, my god, I am dying

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new skirt its bright and happy and in an hour, YEAH for that!!!! Your new pin and bangle are totally you and such a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric for that skirt totally reminds me of being a kid! It's coolio!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh, I love the skirt! I think I'd like to try my hand at a circle skirt next..I'm enjoying sewing soooo much! I'd like to get started on a bakelite collection to, soo bright and purty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my so much deliciousness, I could eat you up and your gorgeous fruit skirt.I am perving at your fruit necklace and bakelite wonders.
    besotes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! you should share how to make the skirt in a tutorial , I'm desperate for maternity skirts and these can sit above said bump.

    ReplyDelete