Sunday, 20 January 2013

House renovation - Part 1 - The Dolly Cool Studio

When we moved into our new house (a 60's bungalow) at the end of November, out first priority was to get my studio decorated and up and running as soon as possible!
We were quite lucky that although our house is dated/old fashioned - it is in the main, purely cosmetic, and can be fairly easily fixed with some paint, new carpets and curtains. This is exactly what we did in my studio.
Here is a "delightful" BEFORE shot of the room...I took this when we first went to view the house.
Decades old carpet, curtains, bed and 70s (not in a good way!) fully fitted wardrobes down one side. And all in brown! Lovely. I could tell the room was a good size, but it felt cramped with all this stuff in it!
Luckily, the guy selling the house was very personable, and removed all the furniture and the fitted wardrobes for us before we moved in.
And how it is now...
Jewellery making area, and storage! The fab spotty boxes are from Ikea.The wooden shelving was re-purposed from old storage in my last house.
 A Papel Picado banner hangs along the wall (gift from a friend bought at Mexican Market in San Diego). Regular readers will recognise the 60's pop flower table that used to be our dining table....its now my jewellery making table! (This is all on the side where the wardrobes were)
Close up of the making area with my tools and components etc.
I love pattern and colour! Can you tell?!
The wall in front of my making area. I covered an old pin board in pink atomic fabric, and stuck some awesome retro Pennychoo cards on my wall to brighten it up!
On the other side of the room is my sewing area! This is pretty much as it was set up in the old box room, but I now have much more space! 
50's Formica table (£15, junk shop), 60s chair (£3 boot sale), 80's sewing machine (under spotty cloth) - free from my mum! :)
Tiki mugs act as pen pots and sewing supplies storage. 50's sewing box was about £1 from a boot sale a few years ago. Cupcake pin cushion was a gift from my sister, Jan.
Ipod dock - essential for playing music while working!

Side view

And again, more wall decoration! From left to right:
Catalina Mexican Foil Picado - from the Day of the Dead exhibition I went to in Lancaster.
'Ahoy' Tattooed Mirror - Gift from my Friend Kate (who makes awesome tattooed wood things under the name Clumsy)
Various retro postcards, and art cards by Tattoo artists Dawnii, and Amy Williams (who did my teacup tattoo). 
AMAZING Sugar Skull cross stitch (in frame), Christmas gift from my friend Jo :)
And next to the sewing area, is my embroidery and packing area!
We bought this fantastic 50s dresser unit off Ebay last summer for £50. It had to go into storage for a little while until we moved,  but I'm so glad that we bought it as it is so perfect for the studio!
Lots of storage, and a pull out table for me to cut fabric on and pack up parcels.
And with this lovely geometric patterned formica top, and sides!
And last, but not least - my Tomado shelves! Bought off Ebay for £20 from Holland. A bargain considering what they usually go for!
Filled with my nik naks, including Patty (my trusty hair tie model head!), a silver glitter flamingo, tiki shot glasses, vintage poodle/cat print in frame, vintage tin and apple ice bucket, and sugar skulls and Moomins on the bottom shelf!
I hope you like my work studio. It is just so nice to have somewhere to work, where everything is in the same room at last, instead of dotted all over the house :)
Next room for renovation is the lounge....currently in progress!

10 comments:

  1. Hi
    Glad to hear you finally got there, the ordeal of moving can be a nightmare as you know, but it looks like you are making good progress turning your new house into a home,the studio looks great and I look forward to seeing how you transform the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection! It looks fab and it makes a difference to have a good workspace. And as Virinia Wolf said, all women should have a room of their own. In my case one to fill with crazy crap with a sewing table in their somewhere!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fab creative space! I love that yellow sideboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally mine kind of work space! I love your bright funky style! You are really settling in and making it yours! Love seeing your home!
    Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh that yellow unit is just AMAZING!!!! I'm very jealous of your workspace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I love that yellow dresser! Awesome furniture and details :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazing! You're so organised! It must be a great space to work in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your workspace, I'm so envious! The formica work table is the best thing I've ever seen, what a bargain! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool to see where all the creative magic is happening!

    I love the dresser, I'm soooo jealous right now!

    I love the Tomado shelf! I got one years ago when we were in Holland for €5, I still haven't cleaned it and hung it.
    I do prefer the Swedish version in teak (String)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks fabulous I'm very late to this! I love your sideboard with pull out table, awesome!

    ReplyDelete